Cauliflower gets the royal treatment in this easy yet elevated dish. Richly spiced, crispy florets sit atop a bed of salty yogurt and are scattered with fresh mint, pickled onions, and toasted pine nuts. Feel free to sub in any herbs or nuts you have on hand—you simply want to add color, freshness, and crunch. Serve with warm flatbreads or basmati rice. This recipe makes more pickled onions than you need, but luckily they last for a couple weeks in the fridge and taste good on pretty much everything.
- Make the pickled onions. Pack the onion slices, red wine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a 16-ounce jar or similar. Add 1 cup of boiling water and stir gently until the sugar and salt dissolve. Let cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 2 weeks.
- Roast the cauliflower. Set the oven to 400°F. In a small bowl, combine the spices, sugar, and salt with the olive oil and mix well. Place the cauliflower on a sheet pan and pour the spice mixture over the florets. Rub the mixture all over the cauliflower, then arrange in a flat layer. Roast, flipping every 15 to 20 minutes, until the cauliflower is golden brown, crispy, and fork-tender—35 to 45 minutes.
- Toast the nuts. Place a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pine nuts and stir occasionally for 2 to 3 minutes or until the nuts are fragrant and mostly golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- To make the salted yogurt, add the yogurt, olive oil, and salt to a medium bowl and mix well to combine.
- To serve, spread the yogurt mixture on large plate and arrange the cauliflower on top of it. Scatter with pickled onions, mint, and pine nuts as desired. Serve with warm flatbreads or rice.